Enclosing a crawlspace that has a pier and beam foundation helps protect it from insects, reduces the amount of heat that escapes through the floors, and more. Are you also going through the same problem and need a foolproof solution? Continue reading to find out more about this kind of foundation and to obtain some pointers on how to enclose a pier and beam foundation to safeguard your house and give it a more aesthetically pleasing appearance.
Pier And Beam Foundation: Advantages and Disadvantages
For a variety of compelling reasons, homeowners as well as builders frequently opt for pier and beam foundations. To begin, the home is elevated to a level that is approximately 18 inches higher than the foundation, which affords it some protection from floods of a lesser severity. Apart from this, there are numerous advantages of the pier and beam foundation, other advantages include the following:
- Simple and quick access to the electrical and plumbing components that need to be served or repaired is given when you have a pier and beam foundation installed in your house.
- The costs of excavation are reduced to a relatively low level making it cost effective.
- The great capability of being employed even on surfaces that are uneven or sloped.
The crawlspace is the source of the problems that are caused by the pier and beam foundation. Some of these include the following:
- Insects, rodents, and other dangerous pests can easily become established in this region if it is allowed to remain unattended.
- The crawlspace is also susceptible to humidity, which can result in the formation of mold and mildew. In some instances, directing water away from the base of the building requires the installation of drainage.
- During the winter months, heat loss may also be a concern, which can drive up the cost of your energy bills.
- This is especially the case if the base of the building and the region beneath the flooring are not insulated.
Enclosing the pier and beam foundation is a solution that can be utilized to mitigate the negative effects of the structure’s design.
How To Form A Foundation Comprising Of Piers And Beams
You will require pressure-treated plywood to complete this project. Plywood that has been subjected to pressure treatment is a material that is frequently used to surround pier and beam foundations. Among its many advantages are the following:
- The ability to resist both wet and dry decay.
- Protection against potentially destructive insects like termites and carpenter ants.
- It is versatile since it may be obtained in a large variety of different finishes.
- Some makers of pressure-treated plywood boards also inject the lumber with certain chemicals that make it fire-retardant. This is done to make the plywood boards themselves. When compared to concrete, which requires a significant amount of time to dry, the installation of this material is quicker and less complicated.
When it comes to knowing how to enclose a pier and beam foundation, a contractor or foundation expert is your best bet. If, on the other hand, you want to carry out the project on your own or are simply curious about the procedure, read on. The following are the steps that are generally involved:
- Create a passageway between two foundation beams by digging with a shovel. Make certain that the depth of the canal is at least 30 centimeters.
- Determine the distance between the two foundation beams by using a tape measure. After that, determine how high the rim joist is by measuring the distance from the bottom of the channel to the top of it.
- After inserting the plywood board into the channel, secure it in place by nailing it to the rim joist at the very top.
Why It Is Necessary To Repair The Damage Caused To Pier And Beam Foundation Houses?
Because sagging floors and other problems can be avoided by repairing your house using foundation piers, this is one of the many benefits of doing so. It is also possible to put an end to the damaging problems that are brought on by differential movement in the foundation. Keep in mind that the reactive soils that are common in Texas might cause damage to a foundation over time.
Because of this, it is important to take preventative measures whenever you see cracks or other signs of damage. If you need repairs to your pier and beam foundation, a contractor can generally complete the work in two to three days. Of course, it’s possible that it will not require any maintenance at all. If you notice any damage to your pier and beam foundation, you should get in touch with a repair professional as soon as possible.
It is prudent to make the effort to perform a thorough inspection of your foundation. You can learn a lot in less than half an hour if you take the time to do so.
Why Do Contractors Use Pier And Beam Foundation When It Damages?
If the foundation piers are constructed of concrete, then the cost to install them is not very high, which is one of the reasons why they are utilized in the process of making repairs to pier and beam homes. When compared to steel pilings, helical piers, and other types of structural supports, the installation costs associated with these types of structural supports are significantly lower.
When repairing a broken foundation, a contractor might only need to make use of four or five concrete piers. Alternately, if the pier and beam foundation has sustained significant damage, 15 or more would be necessary. A great deal is determined by the size of the house as well as the degree to which it has been damaged.
Naturally, the contractor may conclude that using shims is the most effective line of action. When repairing damage to a pier and beam foundation utilizing foundation piers, a knowledgeable professional will know what steps need to be taken. Make sure that the specialist you pick has a great deal of experience.
How To Make The Enclosure Looking More Appealing To The Eye
Plywood is sturdy and long-lasting, but by itself, it does not have a very appealing appearance. On the other hand, there are a lot of different ways to make it look better. It is vital to make it look better as the appearance of the height matters a lot so, the following are some examples that illustrate this point:
Brush It On
Simply painting the plywood that surrounds your foundation can be an easy solution to the problem. Choose a paint that is specially developed to withstand the elements when working outside. For instance, acrylic latex paints are the best choice for applying to plywood used in outdoor applications. Before you begin painting, make sure to prime the surface, and for maximum protection, apply at least two coats of paint.
Stone veneer should be used for the cladding
Natural stone, simulated stone, or even a combination of the two can be used in the production of stone veneer. When used as cladding, it is lightweight and simple to install, but it gives the impression that the material is solid stone. Additionally, its price is lower than that of natural stone.
Apply a Stucco Coating to the Surface
When applied to the walls that enclose your foundation, stucco, which is a cement-based construction material, creates a textured finish. It is available in a wide range of colors and can be applied using either a one-coat or three-coat technique. The first method is less difficult to implement, however, the second method provides greater strength and durability.
Before We Get Started, It Is Important To Consider The Following Factors
It is preferable to commit the project to specialists who are aware of the proper way to enclose a pier and beam foundation if you do not feel sure of your abilities to deal with wood and are not prepared to do some excavating. If you do not meet both of these requirements, it is best to entrust the job to professionals.
A foundation professional can complete the work much more quickly while also ensuring that it is done safely and effectively. They will also let you know whether or not the enclosing structure you have designed complies with the applicable construction codes and whether or not any modifications are required. Your anxiety should decrease as a result of this.
The Specialists In The Pier And Beam Foundation
When it comes to foundation repair and drainage installation in Texas, Foundations MD is the firm that everyone turns to. Get in touch with us right now to receive further information regarding our offerings or to make a request for an obligation-free quote.
Call now to book an appointment for a free consultation.